PRSD School Re-Entry Plan
Working in accordance with the Alberta Health Officials and Alberta Education, PRSD is committed to creating a safe environment for students and staff to comfortably come back to.
During this time, it is imperative that all staff and students follow the COVID-19 Alberta Health Daily Checklist and screen themselves daily. Schools will continue to cohort and socially distance as much as possible to reduce risks and spread. We are currently meeting government standards with regards to air quality in our schools.
Access the COVID-19 Alberta Health Daily Checklist HERE.
Beginning next week, the government will be shipping out voluntary COVID 19 rapid tests and disposable, level 4, medical grade masks to all schools within the division.
Rapid tests will be used to detect infections early and reduce the spread throughout our schools and communities. Each kit contains 5 rapid tests because it takes time for your body to develop enough protein to be detectable by a rapid test after being exposed to COVID-19. Repeated screening can help detect infections as soon as possible.
It is recommended to perform rapid tests twice per week, preferably Sunday evenings and Wednesday evenings for two weeks. This ensures that there is one test left over in case any of the previous tests provide an invalid test result.
Please watch the videos below on how to perform a rapid test on yourself and on your child:
If you perform a rapid test and the result is POSITIVE WITH SYMPTOMS, please follow the steps below:
- Isolate immediately.
- For fully vaccinated individuals, 5 days isolation is required, or until symptoms resolve, whichever is longer. Masking at all times outside of the home is mandatory for an additional 5 days after isolation.
- For not fully vaccinated individuals, 10 days isolation is required, or until symptoms resolve, whichever is longer.
- Notify all close contacts from the previous 48 hours that they should monitor for symptoms and be cautious about going to any high-risk settings such as continuing care facilities and crowded indoor spaces.
If you perform a rapid test and the result is POSITIVE WITH NO SYMPTOMS, please follow the steps below:
- Isolate immediately.
- Take a second rapid test in 24 hours.
- If negative, isolation can end unless symptoms develop.
- If positive, continue isolating as outlined above.
- If second test is positive, inform all close contacts as indicated above.
If you perform a rapid test and the result is NEGATIVE, it still doesn’t rule out infection. Continue monitoring symptoms and follow public health guidelines.
If the rapid test is NEGATIVE WITH SYMPTOMS, please follow the steps below:
- Isolate immediately for 24 hours.
- Take second rapid test in 24 hours
- If negative, continue isolating until symptoms resolve before resuming normal activities.
- If positive, continue isolation. For fully vaccinated, it’s 5 days at home or until symptoms resolve, whichever is longer, plus 5 days of masking at all times outside of the home after isolation. For not fully vaccinated, it’s 10 days at home or until symptoms resolve, whichever is longer.
If the rapid test is NEGATIVE WITH NO SYMPTOMS, isolation is not required.
Masks will be available in two sizes, pediatric and adult, and everyone will be encouraged to use two per day. It is recommended that each person use one mask in the morning, dispose of it during the lunch hour and apply a new mask to wear for the afternoon that can be discarded at home.
Students are still allowed to wear three-layer cloth masks if they are an approved mask and fit the student correctly.
Masking during school hours will remain optional for students in kindergarten to Grade 3. It is still mandatory for ALL students, regardless of grade level, to wear masks on school busses.
PRSD thanks everyone for their continued patience and understanding during this time. Safety for our students and staff is our top priority.